Student Outreach – Students
The Minnesota Construction Association is a non-profit organization that fosters education, recognition and networking for students and industry professionals. We are dedicated to helping you graduate, connect with industry professionals and shape your career. To take advantage of a member benefits, scholarships and more, Join for FREE today!
- Attend MCA education sessions for free.
- Participate in all MCA events for free. Based upon availability.
- Discover opportunities that will help you start and advance your career.
- Develop effective leadership and communication skills needed to succeed in the industry.
- Gain first-hand experience in the construction community by collaborating with professors, industry professionals, and peers.
- Get paired with a mentor in the industry to be a resource and help you learn the ropes. Based upon availability.
- Network and make connections with industry leaders of all trades.
MCA is dedicated to helping students excel in their college or university program. Since 2011, MCA has given $57,500 in scholarship funds to 34 students at 9 different colleges to help achieve their education goals. View a full list of scholarships.
The Minnesota Construction Association would like to congratulate the 2021-2022 recipients of the MCA Annual Scholarship. We look forward to their continued growth and contributions to the construction industry not only here in Minnesota and abroad! Please take a minute to get to know each of the students below.
|Karli Schmitt, University of Minnesota
Hi! My name is Karli Schmitt. I attend the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and study Construction Management and Business Law. Fall 2021, I will be a senior in college. Once I graduate, I plan on working full-time in the construction industry. I have been fortunate to have 4 years, worth of internships under my belt and I look forward to applying these experiences to a full-time position as a project engineer or project manager in the future.
|Justin Babcock, University of Minnesota
My name is Justin Babcock, and I am going to be a Senior at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities in the fall studying Civil Engineering with a minor in Construction Management. I am incredibly honored to be a winner of the 2021-2022 Minnesota Construction Association Scholarship. As I look forward to graduation, I aspire to join the industry in either a graduate engineer or construction management role. I greatly appreciate the time and consideration of the committee, and the generosity of the organization.
|Rhett Tinklenberg, South Dakota State University
Hello, my name is Rhett Tinklenberg and I am a junior at South Dakota State University. I am majoring in Construction Management with a minor in Engineering Management and Heavy Highway/Utilities Construction. After I graduate, I hope to work as a Superintendent or Project Manager for a commercial construction company in the Midwest.
|Taylor Theisen, Minnesota State University, Mankato
My name is Taylor Theisen, and I am attending Minnesota State University, Mankato, and will be a senior this fall. Following graduation this spring I plan to work for a large General Contractor starting as a Field Engineer and/or Estimator. I am currently a Field Engineer Intern at PCL Construction, and I am really enjoying it. This internship has helped me narrow down what I want to do with my future by helping me decide that I am leaning towards the Project Management route.
Resource Guides & Blogs
Check out our company members’ career and job openings!
Bauer Design Build
Career page: https://bauerdesignbuild.com/about/careers/
Career page: https://dorancompanies.com/careers/
Career page: https://koniknetwork.com/job-search/
Loeffler Construction & Consulting
Veit & Company, Inc.
Career page: www.veitusa.com/careers
In January 2020, Construct*ium set out to reboot the Mentorship Program with our collegiate partners. Construct*ium was able to partner with the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and their CCAPS Program. This turned out to be a great, already established, program that the MCA could help provide the needed mentors to their construction program students. We will continue to be part of that group and hope to have more mentors available this year.
As we look into the school year 21-22 and beyond, the MCA is looking to grow the program and partner with our other campus partners. The goal is to help be a support system for the campuses that already have mentorship programs and help those who do not have programs already in place.
Benefits to You:
- This program is FREE
- You will be exposed to multiple networking opportunities with industry professionals
- One-on-one coaching with a Mentor
- Further advancement of your soft skills: (Group coordination is a large part of the construction industry)
- Site visits with your Mentor
- Mentor Job Shadowing *Actual job shadowing is subject to the Mentor’s company discretion.
Expectations of You:
- It is your responsibility to make initial contact with your assigned Mentor.
- Spend an average of 2-4 hours a month interacting with your Mentor: Comprised of face-to-face, E-mail, and phone correspondence.
- Respect and consideration. Please remember that your Mentor is a working professional.
- Use your time interacting with them efficiently.
- Articulate your goals of the mentoring relationship.
- Have fun and ask questions! This program is what you make of it. This is a chance to gain real-world experience for your future career goals.
If you are interested in joining the program please reach out to Eric Quam at Eric.Quam@KrausAnderson.com or fill out the application below.